Sunday, October 6, 2019

ORAL PRESENTATION - GUIDE






Objective: 

Practicing oral skills as well as the rest of skills, reading, listening and writing.


FIRST TERM. Introduce yourself and your hobby.

SECOND TERM.  A monologue and a short VIDEOTAPE with a technical topic
THIRD TERM. Oral presentation of a technical topic 

This is the script of first term:


ORAL PRESENTATION - INTRODUCE YOURSELF AND YOUR HOBBY


FIRST: INTRODUCE YOURSELF   (5 minutes)

Use some of the following questions to prepare your presentation.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU

» Where do you live? Do you have any brothers or sisters? Where did you grow up?
» What type of music do you like listening to? What kind do you hate?
» What do you like doing in your free time? (list some of the things you like doing)
» Can you speak any other languages? (apart from English, Spanish and Catalan)
» What kind of things do you collect? (DVDs, books, stamps ...)
» Which sports do you enjoy playing?
» What is the best country you have visited? » What is your favourite place?
» Is there anything that you really hate? (list some of the things you hate)
» What are you scared of? (spiders, nuclear war, the dark …)


LANGUAGE TIP:
What are you scared of? What are you afraid of/frightened of? – dependent prepositions/synonyms
What do you like/enjoy/dislike/hate doing? – gerunds vs infinitives (1)


LET’S GET PERSONAL

» What makes you happy? What makes you sad? What makes you angry?
» Who is your best friend?
» What’s your favourite TV programme? (2)
» Do you have any pets?
» Do you believe in aliens? Why? /Why not?
» What is your dream job?
» Do you like your name? Why? /Why not?
» What is the best thing you own?
» Are you a morning person or an evening person?
» If you could be someone else for a day, who would you like to be?
» When was the last time a film/book/song made you cry and what was it?
» Who would you most like to go on a date with?
» Are you worried about the future of the planet?
» What was the last book you read?
» Who is the funniest person in the world? Who is the most boring person in the universe?
» Have you ever been in love and how would you describe it?
» When was the last time you danced?
» What objects do you always carry with you?
» What ability that you don’t have would you like to have?
» Have you ever met anyone famous?


(1) Like doing vs like to do
We use like + gerund (-ing form) to talk about general likes. Ex. I like fishing.
like + gerund: meaning the general action. Ex. I like skating/singing (watching others).
like + gerund: to refer to current states or situations. Ex. I like being Italian. I like being single. I like being a doctor. I like having long hair.
We use like + infinitive to talk about more specific likes: I like to go fishing at the weekend.
like + infinitive: performing the action. Ex. I like to skate /to sing (doing it myself).
like + infinitive: to express a habit. Ex: I like to work out before breakfast. I like to go to the dentist once a year.


LANGUAGE TIP:
(2) British vs American: Favorite and favourite are both correct spellings. Favorite is preferred in American English, while favourite is preferred in British English.
Same with program and programme (American / British)


SECOND: INTRODUCE YOUR HOBBY AND A CLASS ACTIVITY  (5 minutes)


HOW TO START

In my free time I…
When I have some spare time I…
When I get the time, I…
I relax by watching TV / listening to music, etc.
My hobbies are birdwatching / playing sports, etc.


VERBS:
I’m interested in (+ noun / gerund)
I’m keen on (+ noun / gerund)
I’m into (+ noun / gerund)
I enjoy (+ noun / gerund)


You can add “really” or “quite” after “I’m…” for emphasis.
“I’m really keen on football.”
“I’m really into genealogy.”


TALKING ABOUT HOBBIES IN MORE DETAIL

You can give more information about your hobbies and interests:
“I like arts and crafts. I’m a creative / practical person, and I like doing things with my hands.”
“I’m an outgoing person, and I like socializing / hanging out with friends.”
“I enjoy being physically active. I spend a lot of time playing sports and team games.”


SAYING WHY YOU LIKE YOUR HOBBY:

You can also explain why you spend time on your hobby to make the conversation longer and more interesting.
“I really enjoy going to the gym because…”
…it keeps me fit.
…it gets me out of the house, you know!
…it’s sociable. I’ve met lots of new people.
…it gives me something interesting to do with my time.
…it’s not very expensive, and anyone can do it!
“My hobbies are all creative…”
… I’ve always enjoyed painting and drawing.
… Because my job is technical, it’s good to spend time doing something completely different.
… I enjoy spending time making things like clothes.


More words that you can use to describe your hobbies:
Creative fascinating practical
Cheap enjoyable relaxing
Different unusual


PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

In this video you will find helpful advice to prepare your oral assignment.


THIRD: CLASS PARTICIPATION AND QUESTIONS  5 min
Examples:
-If you play the guitar you can bring it and pass the lyrics of your favorite song.
-If you like to dance you can create a simple choreography and explain the steps in English.
-If cooking is your thing, you can bring a dish to share and explain the recipe.
The rest of the students are encouraged to ask questions and make comments on the topic.


Total time: 10 -15 min

1 comment:

  1. Yes, presentation should be simple but specific. This is very important and useful point. To improve skills better the follow these points and also join our presentation skills course

    ReplyDelete